Monday, June 13, 2011

The Fine Cookie Co's pecan butterscotch cookie

Last Thursday, I popped out to London’s ExCeL center for a spot of work related research. After a rather extended journey around the complex (which, itself, was surprisingly complex) I decided to reward myself with a tasty cookie. When I spotted a tray of locally sourced goods, prepared by The Fine Cookie Company, I quickly made my move.

There was a surprisingly wide variety on offer so, deciding to make the most of this selection, I went with a pecan butterscotch cookie. It looked appetizing enough: golden around the edges, splattered with patches of melted butterscotch and three whole pecans on the top (which look uncannily similar to brains).

Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there. The thick biscuit lacked enough butter and had been baked for too long. It was dry and crunchy, but not in a good way. Plus, I had to work break the cookie into chunks, each of which was way too dense and felt like a bad version of biscotti.

As far as taste, the dough was salty and bland, while the butterscotch was saccharine and synthetic. This created a rather strange and unpleasant combination of the two, with occasional hits of chemical flavorings.  The pecan chunks were a nice addition but didn’t redeem the cookie.

In the end, I gave up and jettisoned the remaining half of my cookie into the nearest bin. The fact that it had cost £2.20 only made it worse. The Fine Cookie Company was anything but fine.  Sorry guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment